Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Do the shoes make the man?


I read this story and was amazed. Here is a young man that made a bet that he could have easily swept under the rug and no one would remember a thing about it. It really seems like the world has changed. No longer is “my word” and a handshake acceptable we must have a contract for our attorneys to go over – and don’t forget to read the small print!

We’ve also become so much more judging. He said that people thought he was poor because of his shoes. I wonder what his social life was like at school – which group did he belong to? If you don’t wear the right clothes you won’t fit in. We all desperately wanted to fit in when we were in school.

One of the things I just read was don’t worry about getting the approval of other people because people are self focused and are wanting to get your approval of them. Is this what life is about – trying to get approval from others?

In college there was a guy that had dreds and walked barefoot even in snow. One day the University Daily Kansan did an article on him. He said as a youth his family went to Alaska. There he walked on the tundra barefoot and enjoyed the feeling so much that he wanted to experience the world though his feet. This goes to show there is always more to the story. Maybe the hippie guy has it right – maybe we should experience life how we want to and not give a damn what others think. Oh, yeah, he did carry a cheap pair of flip flops in his back pack when he went into places that required shoes.

The more I think about it shoes really doesn’t make the man, because both of these men are very interesting, but their shoes weren’t. Why am I in a competition with Imelda Marcos for shoes?
-Disaster Chick

10 comments:

Schmoop said...

Exactly right. I own two pair of tennis shoes and two pair of dress shoes. I am the same no matter which pair I wear. Cheers DC!!

The AbsolutGator said...

Shoes don't make the man, his character does.


Here's the list of acceptable numbers of shoes for men:
2 pair shineable shoes - 1 black, 1 brown (for dressing up w/ slacks)
2 pair non-shineable shoes - 1 black, 1 brown (for wearing w/ jeans or khakis)
3 pairs of tennis shoes - 1 for wearing out, 1 for working out, and 1 for yard work (as the 1st pair gets older, it is replaced and moved down the chain)
1 pair of sandals
1 pair of flip-flops at every egress of your residence


If necessary for work or environment, boots are acceptable, but not as a fashion statement. In other words, don't try and dress up like a cowboy in NY because you think it would look cool.

Doc said...

Plus several pairs of Crocs for Good luck sports teams.

Jay said...

I'm like Matt-Man in this. I have black shoes, brown shoes and a pair of New Balance cross trainers that are getting pretty worn out. Oh, I do have a pair of steel toed boots too that I used to use for work. But, I don't work at that place anymore. And, they're too expensive to just get rid of.

"... maybe we should experience life how we want to and not give a damn what others think."

I totally agree with that. It's our lives, we shouldn't worry about living them the way others want us to.

Monkey's Mom said...

great post :) I just found this blog and have been enjoying everything i read.
Shoes for sure don't make a person. Some of the kindest people i know wear flip flops daily and some of the rudest pricks in the world wear Manolo Blahnik

Monkey's Mom said...

oh and i for sure am not going to spat off my entire colection of shoes. dear lord, i may need to get rid of some now that i think about it.

I have good character no matter what kid of shoes i wear tho

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

A bet is a debt of honor...

He is honorable

Doc said...

Oh crap I have too many shoes.

Anonymous said...

If I'm wearing certain kinds of heels my character changes a tiny bit, lol. But normally, no, I do not think appearances make the person.

Ken said...

I HATE SHOES! All of them.

I have some, but I hate them.

Really,....my feet
would be complete,
with Sperry boat shoes
and flip flops or bare feet,
when I choose.

That's a whack poem, ehh?