Wednesday, February 20, 2008

I prefer dissonance

Last night I did not feel like going home after work as I wanted to go out and watch the Ranger game and get something to eat. None of my friends were around and they don’t like hockey anyway. So I went to the trusty website Meetup.com to find some Rangers fans. To my surprise there are no Ranger Meetup groups. Strange considering this is such a big sports town. So I searched some more and I came across the Pittsburg Penguins Meetup Group. So I figured why not? So I hopped on a train to the East Village Bar where they were meeting. When I got there I met the crowd of 10 Penguins fans….rabid Penguins fans, 6 men and 4 women. Immediately I made my allegiance be known. I explained that yes I am a New York Rangers fan but I just wanted to meet some cool hockey fans and enjoy some brewskis. There was sudden silence at the table. They were in shock that I had the gall to show up. I was about to excuse myself but they told me not to worry as they won’t beat me up. So I hung around and had some beers and food with them. They turned out to be a nice group of kids (mid 20s/early 30s so I was the elder statesman). However, they still had to get there zingers in to diss my beloved Rangers. I didn’t get mad at any point considering that I volunteered to be there! It was all in good fun.

Their Penguins were losing to the Florida Panthers 1 to nothing at the halfway point. Meanwhile I was sitting pretty as my Rangers were destroying the Montreal Canadians 5 to zero in the middle of the second period as well (Goals are hard to come by in the NHL nowadays). But little by little, that score began to change. Montreal scored to make it 5 to 1. They scored again to make it 5 to 2. Then again; 5 to 3. Then again; 5 to 4! The more the Canadians scored the more abuse I got from these Penguins. Their team tied the score and eventually won in the finally minute of regulation. But suddenly the second to last nail in my coffin got hammered in: 5 to 5! Ex-Ranger castoff Alexi Kovelov scored the game tier for the Canadians. I began to sulk. I should have left. But I decided to be a good sport and stick it out. The game went to overtime. Then a shootout then……...NO!!!!!!.......Saku Koivu wins the game for the Canadians 6 to 5!! The damn Rangers blew a 5 goal lead while I was at a table full of abusive Puffins. This team has been so inconsistent all year. I was sad and angry. But then the Penguins were nice to me and asked that I come hang out with them again. I guess they felt sorry for me. Afterwards we all chipped in for some Mega Millions tickets before we left. I haven’t heard from the group’s organizers so they may have run off with part of my $220 million dollars. Last time I trust any Penguins fans! But they did inspire me as I need to start my own New York Rangers Meetup Group.

But like I said I am a sucker for punishment. I like to test the waters full of sharks to see what happens apparently. Just like the time I wore my Yankees cap at Fenway Park in Boston when I was 16. Uhhh, that was not a good idea either. Some drunkard took my cap and the Red Sox fans threw it around like a beach ball. I did get the cap back an hour later with mustard stains on it. I am sure I did a lot more eccentric things but I’ll save them for another blog. Like Shirley Manson once sang ‘I only like it when it’s complicated. I'm only happy when it rains’.

Oh well curiosity killed the Mountain Cat I guess?

- The Mountain Cat

37 comments:

Doc said...

Moral of this story = Beware the Penguins.... (Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo)

The Mountain Cat said...

UPDATE: I just heard from the head Penguin. We did not win $220 million dollars.

Leighann said...

I'm a sucker for punishment too. Yeah daddy!

Oh wait.... that's not what you meant was it? ;)

The Mountain Cat said...

Well Leighann, That's a conversation for another time ;-O
hee hee. LOL

Karen said...

No one won the 200 million. We will have to try again.

I never heard of meetup.com. I think I am living under a rock.

Jay said...

Well at least it wasn't a group of Flyers fans. Those people take their teams "Broad Street Bullies" nickname VERY seriously!

I've never heard of meetup.com either. I'm gonna check that site out!

Anonymous said...

I need to get into hockey everyone is a hockey fan here lately! Meetup.com? I need get on over there, sounds interesting. lol

Single!

The Mountain Cat said...

Jay, The Penguins/Rangers rivalry has never been that intense. If it was a Flyers Meetup Group, there is no way I would have hung out with such assholes! (Did I say that out loud?). The same with those pathetic Islander fans. :-)

Meetup.com is great. I met a lot of friends from various groups. Some of them are probably reading this (You know who you are).

The Mountain Cat said...

Single, I will inquire about a Rangers Meetup Group soon. I will keep you posted.

Anonymous said...

I'm with you brother Cat... As a Ranger fan who works w/a Penguin fan, I came to work today to find an email from a friend in Montreal and had to deal w/the frickin' Penguins. I just looked at his desk and yelled "Potvin sucks" and walked away. Of course no one here under 30 knew what I meant.

At least it's baseball season!

The Mountain Cat said...

We used to yell Potvin sucks at Yankees games too.

Doc said...

LET'S GO METS !!!


(I hate hockey)

Ken said...

It's great[and fortunate]that your story ends with a good time was had by all!
I grew up in Boston, so I'd say that took some balls to voice your allegiance.
Go Bruins,
kick the Rangers ass then go pluck some Penguins.

Truth: Haven't followed hockey in years!

The Mountain Cat said...

Hey Absolutegator are you there???
How the hell does Doc know you and I for 15 and 20 years, have both us as his best men at his wedding and NOT be a hockey fan??? Dude we have failed him.

Doc said...

Good taste in sports.... BTW it ticks of all the hockey fans that know I know nothing about it but I am running away with my fantasy hockey league!

LOL!

The Mountain Cat said...

Doc, Dude don't start knocking hockey my friend. Remember you are a NASCAR fan and you know that there are more NASCAR jokes than anyother sport on this planet! Be vey cautious of the wire you walk.

Doc said...

You be cautious there are a whole lot more NASCAR fans than there are hockey fans. Bring it PUNK!... oh and at least I don't have to use meetme.com to find other NASCAR fans... I could just go to any old bar.

Unknown said...

Doc.....we can NASCAR fan together.

You survived MC, did you need to pull out the claws? Do you know what they do to a Bears fan in Packers territory? It isn't pretty, nope not at all, even being a man of the cloth won't save you...ask my former Pastor, yes he is still alive.

We watched a movie Saturday night about the 1976 Olympic hockey team, and while I still don't understand the sport, hubby did say he thought he would like to take the boys to see a Gambler game, closest Hockey team we have is in Green Bay. No network we have shows hockey, amazing it isn't more popular in WI?

The Mountain Cat said...

Doc, How much Goody headache powder have you been smoking!??
More NASCAR fans than hockey fans???? Are you kidding me????
In Charlotte, North Bumfuc maybe. But internationally I guarantee you the amount of hockey fan can trump you chicken bone throwin', Busch Lite drinkin', Pennzoil greasin', farmer tannin' NASCAR fans 20 to 1!!! Don't bet me! No...don't!..stop...eh...eh...no...dead....oh no....sorry Doc the card says Moops.

Doc said...

you are literally out of your mind Mt Cat. You were in NEW YORK CITY and couldn't find 5 Ranger fans to watch the game but hockey is bigger than Nascar - You are insane.
And if you want to take it international than the only sport that is bigger than motorsports is soccer... Dude your NHL almost folded a couple of teams a few years ago. NASCAR racing is sold out 37 weeks a year with millions watching at home. What were the ratings for the last Stanley Cup playoffs?

You really need to get out of your little box and look around - A Reality check (not a board check) is calling your name.

The Mountain Cat said...

D.O.C., I am talking internationally. And if you want to get technical and include Formula One as well fine. I am including field hockey as well which they play in South America too. Pfft!!

Doc said...

You can believe whatever you want to but you are wrong... Go ask Mike and Mike.

The Mountain Cat said...

Ok Harry Hogg. I'll do some research. hee hee. This is fun!

Doc said...

4 million watched the 2006 Game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals - 18.4 million watched the Daytona 500 in 2007.

Nielson Ratings

The Mountain Cat said...

Nielson is an asshole.
I bet'cha more people watched the Stanley Cup finals internationally than the Daytona 500.

Doc said...

Dude...more people watched qualifying for the Daytona 500 than the Stanley Cup finals....

Doc said...

This years stats:

33.5 million Americans watched at least part of the Great American Race, a +2% improvement over 2007’s 33.0 million. The Daytona 500 remains far and away the top-rated event in American motorsports. Yesterday’s race more than doubled the rating of last year’s Indianapolis 500 (+137% vs. 4.3/12). Fox’s improved Daytona 500 rating completed a Speedweeks “triple play” as the Daytona 500 (+1%), Daytona Pole Qualifying (+4%), and Budweiser Shootout (+6%) all posted gains over the same events in 2007.

Jahooni said...

dude... dude... no dude... wait dude...

nascar vs hockey
hymn....... atleast you can see big men banging their heads into plexy glass instead of a car just going in circles.

I don't watch either but the sound of Nascar is nice on a rainy day to take a good nap.

The Mountain Cat said...

Doc, You are still not LISTENING to me! I am not arguing about American viewership!!!

Doc said...

Oh so now American's don't count...

Argument Over - you can't be this dumb.

The Mountain Cat said...

dude stop twisting my words. I am talking internationally for the fifth time.

The AbsolutGator said...

Now you know I had to wheigh in on this subject! I like both hockey and stock car racing, so I have no bias either way. But...if I had to choose one over the other, it would be hockey. The reasons:

Hockey is definitely more enjoyable to watch from beginning to end than NASCAR (except for the Bristol night race).

There are more hits in hockey than wrecks in NASCAR.

You will see no fat-bastard body types like Tony Stewart in hockey. Hey Tony, just say no to the buffet lines.

Hockey players don't always have to reference their sponsors repeatedly and often make funnier statements. (In response to the question of why Bob Probert keeps a picture of himself over his locker, "Just in case I get my bell rung. I may not remember my last name, but can always look in the mirror to see what I look like.")

NASCAR does have hockey beat when it comes to tailgating. It can last from a day to a week. And no one looks at you funny for having a beer w/ breakfast!

The AbsolutGator said...

BTW...Lets go Blackhawks!

Anonymous said...

I'm just catching up here...you guys crack me up!! = )

BTW, definitely hockey...sorry, Doc!

LeapOFaith

DirkStar said...

Hockey, bah!

Its nothing more than wrestling on ice...

It used to be a good game when I was younger, but its a joke now.

The Mountain Cat said...

Thanks Absolutegator, I knew I could count on you!

Leighann said...

damn, look at all the fun I missed out on.... just tell me you didn't get naked and jump into a vat of chocolate pudding to fight this out or it'll ruin my whole day!