Saturday, January 5, 2008

Where Is Your Government Approved Bubble?

I’m on my way home and I hear a public service announcement about wearing seatbelts and that not doing so will lead to getting a ticket (if caught). Is this insane to anyone else but me? Don’t get me wrong; I think everyone should wear a seatbelt. I believe every motorcycle rider should wear a helmet and jacket. Not because it is the law, but because it is common sense. If someone makes the choice not to wear a proven safety device, then they should bear the responsibility of that decision. I am not heartless; I feel for those injured or killed in accidents that don’t wear these safety devices, but cannot help it when that little voice in my head says, “What did you expect?!” However, I do believe in protecting those that cannot make educated decisions for themselves (i.e. - child seats and electrical outlet covers for kids). Just don’t waste taxpayer money on making laws out of things that should be obvious and let natural selection thrive.

But what do I know; I’m just a guy who eats his red meat medium-rare (and hates it when I’m told I can’t get it that way).

-The AbsolutGator

P.S. - Don't comment that you know someone who knows someone that if they'd been wearing a seatbelt in their accident that they wouldn't have survived. That type of accident (if it exists) would be such a small and trivial percentage of all accidents that it would be pointless to bring up.

3 comments:

DocMtCat said...

Charles Darwin is sailing on the HMS Beagle somewhere up in the great beyond smiling down upon us and giving you a big thumbs up Absolut!

-Doc

DocMtCat said...

Back in my day we didn't have seat belts in my Model-T! Your generation is so spoiled.
-The Grandpa Cat

Dana said...

Just don’t waste taxpayer money on making laws out of things that should be obvious and let natural selection thrive.

*Claps wildly!!!*