Tuesday, January 1, 2008

My Wants and Need for '08

2007 has given me many things to be thankful for (wife got her BSN, everyday I have w/ the kids, Gators were champs...twice), even if there were bumps along the way (family concerns, illness).

A lot of people use the words 'wants' and 'needs' as synonyms these days inappropriately. To be clear on what I would like to see/do/experience in '08, I have a need and short list of wants:

(BTW, as I write this, the following line from the Rolling Stones is stuck in my head: "You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometime, you just might find, you get what you need.")

Needs:
Honestly, I feel that all but one of my 'needs' is already met. I already have a wonderful family, great friends, and a spiritual relationship. The one need is better and more consistent communication with all them. For example, Doc and I pick up conversations after 2-3 months of not talking to each other like we never missed a beat. However, when you do this there are things that go unsaid (forgotten or omitted) that are important and help to further relationships.

Wants (for me or society in general):
To begin a new business venture: My wife and I have a business model we'd like to plan and implement. Maybe this is the year.

Spend quality time w/ my family, especially my Dad: You never know how much of it you actually have.

For people to be more respectful of others opinions: People will always disagree, but the spiteful way in which we view people with differing opinions is disgusting. Example, if I hear one more person say Bush is stupid, I'm gonna puke. He's smarter and could out debate 99.9% of the people that say he's dumb. Even worse are the people that believe someone else is misguided or an imbecile just based on their position (regardless of topic) without giving them a chance to explain why they feel that way.

(Addendum - Its okay to vent from the top of a soapbox every once in a while!)

Have more fun: I don't mean week-long vacations, we do that. Just throughout the day take the time to enjoy life and those around us. Stay away from assholes (if you need help w/ this in your workplace, then read Robert Sutton's The No Asshole Rule). I'd also like to take more short trips w/ the family. Too many weekends go by w/ nothing to show for it.

Continue getting in better shape: Over the last year I have changed the way I eat and exercise. Got to keep that up! I want my kids growing up w/ the understanding that exercise should be part of a daily, healthy routine.

Spend more time doing: The Internet is a great tool, especially for keeping in contact. There are just too many things on it that waste our time or get us in trouble. Get on, do what you got to do, and get off your ass...have a real life.

There are a few more things I could list, but these are my top wants as I sit here now. Besides, I have to get off my ass and go cheer for the Gators.

I wish you all a Happy New Year and that you each receive your needs & wants this year.

-The AbsolutGator (Chris - Guest Contributor)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year Absolut!


Thank you for contributing your wants and need for '08 - As usual I agree with a good bit of what you have to say. However hopefully 2008 will finally NOT be the year of the Gator

Reggie Hunnicutt said...

Ya gotta have fun and you gotta exercise. Snorkeling is the best combination of the two.

Good luck on the business venture.

Anonymous said...

So far, '08 is not the year of the Gator. D'OH!!!

CarmenSinCity said...

Happy New Year!!!! Good resolutions!

Casdok said...

Love your resolutions.

Anonymous said...

Chris,

Happy New Year!
You are exactly right about these Bush bashers. And it is much worse here in New York. The 'Anyone else but Bush' attitude doesn't fly.