Thursday, January 20, 2011

Other Fish in the Sea...

I think catch and release fisherman are heartless weenies. I think putting a fish through agony for nothing more than your own entertainment is just plain cruel. I think if you're going to torture a living thing if, you're going to make it look into the eyes of its maker, face its own puny little place in the universe, then, for God's sake, have the decency to eat it!” – Gray (Jennifer Garner), Catch and Release

The few times I’ve gone fishing I enjoy the views, the breezes, the sunlight warming me, and maybe even reading in the fresh air – but when there’s a tug on the other end of that line I want someone else to do the dirty work. I can reel it in, but I don’t want to take it off the hook. The way it wriggles freaks me out. I’m afraid of killing it if it is one to toss back, and I really don’t want to be the one cleaning it. Like Gray had said – you should have the decency to eat it not just put it through agony for no reason. Dating is a lot like fishing.


I had to contact the guy I was dating because I knew he was feeling the spark and I wasn’t. I wanted to respect him more than the guys from my past that just vanished, and I also have a tendency to run into him. He is a great guy, but just not the guy for me. Some people made me feel like I’m a jerk for wanting the spark and not continuing to give him a chance. “You know, the spark doesn’t last” is the statement I heard the most. So here is my BBQ Grill of Love Theory – you must have a spark to start a flame to get the coals burning. Hopefully you put down a good foundation lava rock. Yes, the spark does die out, but you got a steady burn going and every now and then you will see a spark. If you were smart you had some coals in reserve so that the fire doesn’t completely die out.
I’ve had the spark once with someone I can never be with, and about once a year he tries to get it going again. I know that I must have a bigger draw to the guy I’m dating than with the fire juggler. His flame is only a illusion, but it is very convincing. I guess I would rather be a catch and release weenie than to play with fire when it involves someone’s heart.

-Disaster Chick, Weekly Correspondent

2 comments:

Raquel's World said...

Well I like and agree with your theory. You know when it ain't happening so why waste your time? Release that lil fishy so someone else can catch him.

FanStacia said...

I think every relationship starts with a spark. For me, if I feel like I've fostered it and nothing else lights up then it's time to let it go. Everyone loves the excitement that comes from that first spark, but the steady burn is what we all really long for. Something lasting that makes you think yep, his socks are on the floor next to basket again, but who cares. So, good for you. Don't settle for a flickering light. And just make sure that steady burn isn't something you're going to need an antibiotic for. Yowsa!