Monday, June 21, 2010

Buff Bods of Hollywood


On my trivia team I bring to the table pop culture knowledge. Ever since Kate Moss hit the scene back in the 1990s women have felt the pressure to become model thin even if our body type isn’t meant to be a little boy, i.e. we have hips and tits.

This really hasn’t gone away over
the past couple of decades. Sex and the City even talked about men who are average on the 10 scale are not looking at average women, but only going for the 9s and 10s. Will and Grace had an episode where Karen and Jack were channel surfing and saying “fat man/skinny wife” over and over again. In real life would Jim Blushi be married to Courtney Thorne Smith?

Now the pressure is finally on men, and the era of the buffed actor is upon us. Does this mean that the scale will work its way back to normal? Is image more important than ever? What about the Average Jane/Joe that most of us are? Does this mean we will see more and more actors on the screen that look good but couldn't act their way out of a wet paper bag?

7 comments:

Jay said...

"In real life would Jim Blushi be married to Courtney Thorne Smith?"

No. And Kevin James wouldn't be married to Leah Remini either.

And Mark Addy wouldn't be married to Jamie Gertz either.

And John Goodman wouldn't be married to Ro ... okay, maybe he would.

Image is everything. Image matters more than anything else and it probably always will.

rxBambi said...

hmmmm, interesting question. I remember when I met my husband I was told I could "do better" based solely on his looks. I was pissed. He is the funniest, kindest, cutest, bestest at everything man I could ever ask for -- well okay, he's not a very good handy-man --

but seriously, I've talked to some of those people that said that and they totally agree now that we are perfect for each other and they were wrong to say it.

I would hope that Jay is wrong and that image isn't everything, but I'd also say that to those people that image is everything, they won't be happy for long.

Evil Twin's Wife said...

The Evil Twin is very good looking, but quite heavy. I equate a chunky husband with a happy husband. He likes my cooking! ;-)

Anonymous said...

It isn't fair, that's true. But honestly, I don't find super buff men that attractive. I like a little meat on their bones. Give me Kevin James anyday.

Candy Minx said...

Hmm I also like a man with a little meat on his bones...I am not worried about it. Happens that my husband is quite thin and I love him even if he isn't all "buff". I actually prefer meaty and big or thin to muscly.

I have a very good friend who is a sculptor, who is 6'3" about 325, and looks quite a bit like Jim belushi. His wife is 5'10" and 140 and blonde. Ni kidding...yipppeee for the exceptions! (they have been together 30 years)

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

YAY Mrs D would like me then! LOL

Just me... said...

It's been my experience that the ones who are super buff, good looking, etc are also the ones who are only about that, the outside appearance. And then really only about themselves.. Dated some good looking guys in my time.. But, give me a 5 with a mind and good verbal skills anytime!!